Who is up for the exciting challenge of teaching youth Mana Maoli’s ABC’s’ – Academics, Business, & Culture – through music? As part of the Mana Mele Project, Mana Maoli and its partner schools are seeking part-time afterschool music instructors and substitutes for a Mana Mele music class for the following schools across Oʻahu and Kauaʻi:
1. Oahu South – Hālau Kū Mana PCS, Roosevelt High, Jarrett Middle, Pauoa Elem, ʻĀnuenue
2. Oahu East – Kamakau PCS, Hakipuʻu Learning Center, Mālama Hōnua PCS
3. Oahu West – Kamaile Academy, Ka Waihona o ka Naʻauao
4. Kauaʻi East – Kawaikini PCS, Kanuikapono PCS
5. Kauaʻi West – Ke Kula Niʻihau, Kula ʻAupuni Niʻihau a Kahelelani Aloha
Here is an opportunity to make a difference – via innovative, real world, culture-based education in support of Hawaiian charter school youth. Position is available immediately.
Position: Mana Mele Music Instructor
Start Date: June 10 for Summer Session (June-July 2019)
July 20 for School Year (August 2019-May 2020)
Compensation/Hours: $25/hr, 4 hrs/wk (3hrs instruction, 1hr prep)*, up to 40 weeks per school year. Must be able to commit to the full school year. *Instructional hours may vary based on need.
Kuleana: To foster students’ appreciation for music and culture, facilitate development of music skills, and offer a variety of music experiences as they explore education and career opportunities. Instructors will develop curriculum that centers around his/her area of expertise while piloting lessons from a library of place and culture-based curriculum, developed and shared by Mana Mele’s Academy Design Team and instructors.
– High School Diploma
– 2+ years experience working with youth
– 4+ years experience in the field of music
– Reliable, punctual, strong verbal/written communication skills
– Knowledgeable and respectful of Hawaiian culture – willing to integrate Hawaiian ideology into classroom curriculum
– Lots of patience, passion, perseverance, and aloha!
– 4+ years experience in the field of music and/or media production
– BA degree or higher, preferably in Education, Music, or Media
– Strong grounding/proficiency in Hawaiian music, culture, and language
– 2+ years experience in curriculum and program development
– 3+ years of classroom instruction, esp. in Grades K-12, and/or at Hawaiian-focused charter or immersion schools, or schools in areas of high Native Hawaiian populations.
– Knowledge of music literacy and fundamental music theory
– Skilled in culture resources, and Indigenous/Western teaching practices and strategies
– Computer, digital and media literacy
In accordance with Mana Maoli employment policy, candidates for this position may be subject to a criminal background check.
How to apply: Qualified candidates should submit a resume and cover letter via email to firstname.lastname@example.org or complete the following form: https://forms.gle/CYr3vyhAQG2mxgKf9. Please name your resume and cover letter files as shown below.
FirstName LastName Resume.docx/.doc/.pdf
FirstName LastName Cover Letter.docx/.doc/.pdf
The email subject heading should read as follows, personalized with your name:
Mana Mele Instructor Application – FirstName LastName
Please also note which areas you are applying to teach in by indicating the respective number at the bottom of your cover letter, after your signature.
Last, please help us spread the word by passing this announcement along to your `ohana and friends.
Mahalo nui loa!