Who is up for the exciting challenge of teaching youth Mana Maoli’s ‘ABC’s’ – Academics, Business, & Culture – through music?
As part of the Mana Mele Project, Mana Maoli and its partner schools are seeking part-time afterschool music instructors for a Mana Mele music class for the following locations:
- Pauoa Elementary in Honolulu, Tuesdays and Thursdays, 2:30-3:30 pm, Gr. K-2
- Hālau Kū Māna in Honolulu, Wednesdays, 3:45-5 pm and Fridays, 1:45-3:30 pm, Gr. 4-6
- Mālama Honua in Waimānalo, Wednesdays, 1:45-2:45 pm & 3-4 pm, Gr. 2-4
- Kamakau in Kaneohe, Mondays OR Wednesdays, 2:30 – 3:30pm OR 2:30 – 4:30pm, ‘Ukulele focus
Here is an opportunity to make a difference – via innovative, real world, culture-based education in support of Hawaiian charter school youth. Position is available immediately.
Position: Mana Mele Music Instructor
Start Date: January 2019
Compensation/Hours Available: $25/hr, 4 hrs/wk (3hrs instruction, 1hr prep), up to 40wks per school year.
Kuleana: The primary kuleana of the Music Instructor is to foster student enjoyment and abilities in music, as they increase college/career readiness and cultural grounding in the process. This will be done via piloting place and culture-based curriculum, developed and shared by Mana Mele’s Academy Design Team and instructors.
* High School Diploma
* College Degree and/or experience working with youth
* Strong music background
* Reliable, on time, strong verbal/written communication skills
* Knowledge of and/or strong respect for Hawaiian culture – willingness to learn more, and integrate into class instruction
* Lots of patience, passion, perseverance, and aloha!
* Strong background/abilities related to music, engineering, music business, and/or video production
* BA degree or higher, especially in Education or majors related to the 4 areas noted above
* Strong grounding/proficiency in Hawaiian music, culture, and language
* Curriculum and program development experience
* 3+ years of instruction, especially with middle/high school aged youth, and/or instruction at Hawaiian charter or immersion schools, or schools in areas of high Native Hawaiian populations.
* Knowledge of music literacy and theory
* Skilled in culture resources, and Indigenous/Western teaching practices and strategies.
* Computer, digital and media literacy.
In accordance with Mana Maoli employment policy, candidates for this position may be subject to a criminal background check.
How to apply: Qualified candidates should submit a resume and cover letter via email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please name your resume and cover letter files as shown below.
FirstName LastName Resume.docx/.doc/.pdf
FirstName LastName Cover Letter.docx/.doc/.pdf
The email subject heading should read as follows, personalized with your name: Mana Mele Instructor Application – FirstName LastName
Also, please help us spread the word by passing this announcement along to your `ohana and friends.
Mahalo nui loa!